Flu Vaccinations for the 2017 Flu Season Have Arrived!
Winter is approaching and Flu Vaccinations are available at Tooronga Family Medical.
Vaccinating against Influenza is extremely beneficial as it will:
- Help reduce your risk of getting sick with the flu;
- Reduce the risk of hospitalisation – especially amongst children, older adults, and individuals with chronic health conditions;
- Help to protect women during and after pregnancy, as well as protecting their baby after birth from catching the flu;
- Ensure that if, despite the injection, you do get sick with the flu, your illness will be significantly milder compared to those who have not received the injection; and
- Protect not only yourself but also the people around you from contracting the flu.
Side effects are usually mild and well tolerated. It is important to note that the quadrivalent flu vaccine contains inactivated virus and cannot cause influenza. In addition, the flu vaccination does not protect again the common cold.
People who should not have the flu vaccine include:
- Those who have had a severe allergy to a flu vaccine in a previous year;
- Children under 6 months of age;
- Individuals who are allergic to eggs, neomycin, or polymixin B sulfate; and
- People who have suffered from Guillain-Barre Syndrome.
The doctors and staff at Tooronga Family Medical are passionate about preventive medicine and strongly urge you to get this year’s flu vaccine. Flu vaccinations are particularly important if you:
- Work in a busy workplace;
- Have plans for a long haul flight in the next 12 months;
- Suffer from a chronic medical condition;
- Have reduced immunity;
- Are 65 years or older;
- Have a child or children to take care of;
- Work within the healthcare or childcare sectors;
- Are pregnant or trying to get pregnant; or
- If you just hate being sick!
Flu vaccinations are good for children as well, especially if they:
- Attend childcare or school;
- Suffer from a chronic medical condition (eg. asthma or diabetes);
- Have reduced immunity;
- Will be travelling overseas in the next 12 months; or
- Have close contact with pregnant women.
Please note that if your child is under 10 years of age and has never had a flu vaccination before, in their first year, they require a booster after 1 month for complete coverage.
At Tooronga Family Medical, we understand how important your time is so have designed Flu Clinics with specific appointment slots to fit in with your busy schedules.
This year, we will be bulk billing consultations within our Tooronga Medical Flu Clinics. All vaccinations will be performed by our experienced doctors and sold for $15. Patients 65 years and over, pregnant women, as well as individuals who suffer from certain chronic medical illnesses may be eligible for the government-funded flu vaccination at no additional out-of-pocket expense.