Thinking Of Starting A Family?
If you’re thinking of starting a family, a little preparation beforehand can help make the transition to parenthood a whole lot easier. Advice and assistance from your local GP can be priceless.
What Can Your Local GP Do?
- Check your immunity to certain viruses – like German measles (Rubella) & Chickenpox (Varicella) – that you can be immunised against before you fall pregnant.
- Review other bloods like your iron & thyroid function.
- Check your immunity to other viruses in case you are exposed during pregnancy.
- Ensure that your pap smear / cervical screening is up-to-date.
- Discuss whether prenatal genetic testing is required.
- Recommend appropriate prenatal vitamin supplementation.
- Discuss food, exercise, smoking & alcohol recommendations in pregnancy.
- Outline the different modes of care that are available for consideration.
- Discuss antenatal genetic screening tests like combined first trimester screening, non-invasive pregnancy screening (NIPS) or testing (NIPT), and maternal serum screening testing (MSST).
- As well as addressing any other queries or concerns that you may have.
Tooronga Family Medical
Dr Elaine Liew at Tooronga Family Medical is an experienced local GP in the Hawthorn East / Glen Iris area. She has young children of her own and loves dealing with kids of all ages. She is also passionate and experienced when it comes to assisting individuals who are keen on starting a family in the pre-pregnancy, antenatal and postpartum periods. With postgraduate qualifications in obstetrics and gynaecology, Dr Elaine Liew is a shared care practitioner. She is accredited for shared care at several tertiary hospitals. These include: Mercy Hospital for Women, Box Hill Hospital, Monash Health & Royal Women’s Hospital.
Please note that a St Vincent’s Pathology Collection Centre is onsite in Glen Iris / Hawthorn East and can conveniently take pathology samples for all prenatal and antenatal tests – including VCGS Percept (NIPS) – every morning, Monday to Friday.